Monday, October 29, 2007

I am so blessed.

One of my friends who knows about my desire to become debt free recommended the book "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I love this book. I love the path it's taking me on. And I love that my roommate (Jennifer) has already read the book and has lived by its principles for years now. This makes for fun, interesting, and frank conversations between us about this.

The book teaches about the debt snowball. It also teaches the importance of having $1,000 emergency cash stashed away, easily accessible, but ONLY for emergencies. It also states to do this first and foremost. The reason? If an emergency comes us, it's so easy to go to a credit card that we don't normally use - one that we keep around "for emergencies." Considering how costly going in to debt has been for me, keeping a credit card around for emergencies is a little dumb, don't you think? Anyway, I have never had $1,000 spare cash. Ever. But it was a fun concept to think about - getting it before I really get into the debt snowball.

I mentioned this to a few friends of mine - telling several of them of this difficult yet exciting plan that I have and that first and foremost, I needed to save $1,000 right off the bat. Wouldn't you know it? One of them came to me and GAVE me $1,000 to help me start on this path quicker. Literally gave me the money and said that they really wanted me to start the process NOW and to not put it off any longer. To say I was touched and surprised and stunned would be putting it mildly. No one has ever done something like this. It's something I dream of being able to do for others some day. But never in my wildest dreams could I imagine having it done to/for me.

Heavenly Father has "remembered Tara" and has blessed me considerably in my decision to go debt free.

I am humbled and grateful and I don't deserve it.

2 comments:

idahohubers said...

I'm a friend of Jen's and linked to you from her blog. I've read a bit of Ramsey's stuff on his website and he really motivated me toward the debt free track too. Best of luck to you! You have probably heard of Suze Orman and although she BUGS me sometimes - she does have a lot of good advice suzeorman.com

Jeff said...

You're the best! Keep it up. You can do this!