Monday, November 12, 2007

Mmm... Leftovers!

If you know me, you know I am not a fan of leftovers. There's just something about eating a dish that you already ate recently and it has lost is freshness. Weird, I know, but I've just never appreciated leftovers.

Until now.

I've said in earlier posts that lunch is usually my only substantial meal of the day, and it's hard not to eat out for lunch. I'm really trying here. It is my hugest struggle right now to be quite honest.

I go over to my sister Andrea's home for dinner every Sunday. It is truly the highlight of my week. Her little critters are some of my most favorite people to be around, and frankly, I enjoy being the referee between Andi and her kids (her husband Ron is the bishop and isn't around a lot on Sundays). Anyway, we usually have really good, substantial meals that are phenomenal.

Because my birthday is this week, I got to choose what I wanted to eat for dinner/dessert yesterday (without having to consult the kiddies). I had one of my favorites: Hawaiian Haystacks and Peach Cobbler. Life just can't get much better than this. The kids agreed with me on the Haystacks, not so much on the Cobbler (can't account for no taste at that age I 'spose).

Lucky for me, there were a lot of leftovers and I got to take some home to eat for my lunch today. I actually was excited for my leftovers. Probably one of the first times in my life that I was.

What are some of your favorite leftovers? Inspire me...

4 comments:

gibbez said...

Soups and anything with beans are always better the next day.

Unknown said...

DUH! Your leftovers are my favorite. Well, used to be.

lilivw said...

My kids love to have a "to go" box and have leftovers from anywhere. I like leftovers from the meals I make because it is easier to recycle the food the next day (sounds gross "recycle" doesn't it!) Brad loves leftovers of anything too. We are just a leftover family I guess.

I love reading about your success Tara and applaud all your hard work and sacrifices.

SqUiRt said...

One thing I learned from living with Mari and Paul is to make a lot of whatever, then freeze it. It's way nice because then when I don't really feel like cooking, I just heat up something. I really like leftover sloppy joes (homemade kind). Paul's got a really good recipe, if you want it I can send it to ya.